Skip Navigation
International Student Admission Policy

Demonstration of English Language Proficiency by Non-native-speaking Applicants

As one measure of potential for academic success while a student in the School of Education, international applicants must demonstrate proficiency in both written and spoken English.

To demonstrate proficiency, international applicants must submit official TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores if English is not their native language. The minimum TOEFL requirement is 600 (paper-based) or 100 (Internet-based). The minimum IELTS requirement is 7.0. In addition, applicants to certain graduate degree programs may be required to provide additional evidence of English proficiency, including:

  • an in-person or telephone interview (for example, via Skype) with an admission committee member
  • a writing sample certified to be the applicant’s own work
  • a writing examination administered by the School of Education

The respective program admissions committee will determine and request the additional evidence of English proficiency required for admission to the given program. The program admissions committee may grant a waiver from the TOEFL/IELTS requirement if the applicant has demonstrated by other means sufficient proficiency in spoken and written English for success in the program. An applicant may file a TOEFL/IELTS waiver request form when submitting his/her application to the Office of Admissions. The waiver form can be found online at

Some international applicants may be admitted with the requirement that they complete a workshop(s) and/or course(s) in spoken and/or written English.

Admissions Policy for International Students Requiring a Student (F-1) Visa

An international applicant requiring a student (F-1) visa to attend school must obtain full admission to a degree program well in advance of the start of the semester. The School of Education does not issue certificates of eligibility (Form I-20) for conditional acceptance to a degree program, nor does it issue an I-20 for any certificate programs. The application and other required admission documents must be received by the Office of Admissions on or before the posted application deadlines. If applications and other required documents are not received by the Office of Admissions on or before the deadline, the application will automatically be considered for the next available semester. F-1 students are required to show proof that they can afford all tuition and expenses for the academic year in order to receive their I-20 status.

Note: For summer semester admissions, international applicants may be considered for full-time graduate degree programs only. Applications for part-time degree programs beginning in the summer will not be considered.

International Credential Evaluation

Applicants who hold degrees or have earned credits from non-U.S. institutions must have their academic records evaluated by a credential evaluation agency before they can be considered for admission to a degree program or for Graduate Special Student (Non-Degree) status. Applicants should make arrangements with an authorized credential evaluation agency for an evaluation of their academic credentials, an assessment of the overall grade point average, and a course-by-course evaluation. The official course-by-course evaluation should be sent to the Office of Admissions in lieu of academic transcripts. Evaluations should be sent by the agency to:

Johns Hopkins University
School of Education
Office of Admissions
6740 Alexander Bell Drive, Suite 110
Columbia, MD 21046-2100

Because fees and documents required for evaluation may vary by agency, applicants are encouraged to contact the agencies directly for additional information. The following is a sample list of recognized credential agencies:

World Education Services, Inc.
Bowling Green Station
PO Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087
Telephone: (212) 966-6311
Fax: (212) 739-6100

Educational Credential Evaluators
PO Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470
Telephone: (414) 289-3400
Fax: (414) 289-3411

International Student Services

Upon receipt of an acceptance package from the School of Education, the international student who needs to obtain a student (F-1) visa is required to contact the university's Office of International Services (OIS) at 667-208-7001 or to request a certificate of eligibility (Form I-20). The I-20 is not automatically sent with the acceptance package. Before an I-20 is issued, the international student is required to send financial documentation and a notarized affidavit of support to:

Johns Hopkins University
School of Education
Office of Admissions
6740 Alexander Bell Drive, Suite 110
Columbia, MD 21046-2100

Current information on the required amount of funds, types of acceptable financial documentation, and forms may be found online at In order to maintain F-1 visa status, students must adhere to the regulations set by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Failure to abide by any of the regulations could result in students being considered “out of status” by the USCIS.

Upon arrival at Johns Hopkins, international students on an F-1 visa are required to visit OIS and bring passports, I-94 cards, and I-20s. Before leaving the United States for any reason, the I-20 must be signed by an OIS staff member in order for the student to re-enter the country. It is imperative to schedule an appointment with OIS four weeks prior to the departure date.

Students on an F-1 visa must pursue a full course of study at the school listed on the currently valid Form I-20 during every academic session or semester, except during official school breaks. Full-time status/full course of study is defined by the School of Education as being enrolled in minimally nine credits each fall semester and nine credits each spring semester for graduate study, and as being enrolled in minimally 12 credits each fall and 12 credits each spring semester for undergraduate study. Credits completed during the January intersession and May session are counted toward the spring semester count (for example, three credits completed in the 2017 January intersession, six credits completed in the 2017 spring semester, and three credits completed in the 2017 May session equate to 12 credits for the spring 2017 semester). Summer semester courses are not considered when calculating full-time F-1 visa status, although credit earned during summer semester courses may be applied towards a student’s degree.

In order to comply with USCIS regulations, all F-1 students are required to register for the full course load at the beginning of each fall and each spring semester. Other regulations are outlined in the letter the international student receives with the Form I-20.

Assisting students on F-1 visas is central to the support for international students provided by OIS. The office can also assist students who hold other nonimmigrant visas and direct them to the appropriate resources or government offices. If students are unclear about the type of visa they should obtain, they should visit the USCIS website at for additional information, or contact OIS at 667-208-7001 or with any questions.

All current international students on F-1 visas sponsored by the School of Education are automatically subscribed to the International Service listserv upon the first semester of enrollment. Regular updates are sent regarding visa-related matters and other items of interest to international students.

Note: Federal financial aid is not available for international students. For more information about international student services at JHU and what prospective international students should know, please visit

International Graduate Special Students (Non-Degree)

International applicants who hold types of visas other than an F-1 visa and who wish to enroll as part-time Graduate Special Students (Non-Degree) should follow the application directions outlined under Graduate Special Students (Non-Degree). International graduate students attending other institutions on student (F-1) visas during the regular academic year are also welcome to enroll as Graduate Special Students (Non-Degree) during the summer. For more information, contact the Office of Admissions at 410-516-9797.