Skip Navigation
Veterans/G.I. Bill Assistance

The Johns Hopkins University is approved by the Maryland Higher Education Commission for training veterans and the widows and children of deceased veterans under provisions of the various federal laws pertaining to veterans’ educational benefits. Information about veterans’ benefits is available at

Information on applying for veterans’ benefits and enrollment procedures may be obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs

Students eligible for veterans’ educational benefits (excluding Post 9-11, Chapter 33) register and pay their University bills in the same manner as non-veteran students. Reimbursement is made by the Department of Veteran Affairs on a monthly basis. The amount of reimbursement is determined by the student’s rate of pursuit calculated by the number of courses taken during a semester. 

Students eligible for Post 9-11, Chapter 33 veterans’ benefits register in the same manner as non-veteran students. A partial tuition payment is made by the Department of Veterans Affairs directly to the University. The amount of payment is governed by the student’s eligibility established by the VA. The student is responsible for the remaining tuition.
In all of the above cases, veterans’ educational benefit payments cover only a portion of assigned fees. Questions regarding enrollment procedures for the School of Education may be directed to the VA certifying official at 410-516-9816 or at

To obtain veterans educational benefits, a veteran must comply with the following procedures:

Initial Enrollment

  1. The veteran must first apply and be admitted to one of the schools of the University.
  2. Obtain an Application for Program of Education of Training (VA Form 22-1990) from the Department of Veterans Affairs. Forms are available at (Vonapp stands for Veterans On Line Application.)
  3. After completing the application, send it along with a certified copy of the DD-214 to the following address:

Veteran’s Certification Officer
Office of the Registrar
School of Education
6740 Alexander Bell Drive, Suite 110
Columbia, MD 21046

The VA will return an official “Certificate of Eligibility” to the student who must submit a copy of the certificate to the VA certifying official (address above) or fax to 410-516-9817.

Continuing JHU Student Enrollment
Students from Other Institutions
Standards of Progress