Skip Navigation
Financial Aid Fact Sheet

What types of financial aid are available? Who may be eligible?

The School of Education offer programs of financial support to help students finance the cost of attending their academic programs. Financial aid includes federal grants and low-interest loans, school-based and state scholarships and grants and awards. 

You can be considered for financial aid if:

  • you are fully and unconditionally* accepted into a degree or approved certificate program;
  • are enrolled at least half-time each semester;
  • complete all courses for which aid was awarded;
  • advance by at least 12 credits per year (half-time per semester in which aid is received);
  • maintain a 3.00 cumulative GPA (graduates); 2.00 GPA (undergraduates).

*Limited assistance is available for provisionally admitted students for specific credits required for full admission.

In addition, to receive Federal and State aid you must:

  • be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen;
  • have registered with the Selective Service between the ages of 18-26 if you are a male;
  • not owe a refund on a Federal grant or be in default on a Federal education loan;
  • not have a drug conviction (for the possession or sale of illegal drugs) for an offense that occurred while you were
  • receiving federal student aid (such as grants, loans, or work-study).

How do I apply?

You can begin the financial aid application process for academic year 2015-2016 immediately, even if you have not been admitted. The application consists of:

A PIN, which is used as your electronic signature, is available at that Web site. If you do not have access to the Internet, please call 1-800-4-FED-AID to request a paper application. Since it takes the federal government approximately 4 weeks to process the paper FAFSA, we recommend you file the FAFSA on the Web.

When are financial aid deadlines?

We set priority deadlines* (April 1 for the summer semester, June 1 for the fall semester, and November 1 for the spring semester) so that all necessary paperwork can be completed in time to get your aid disbursed by the first day of classes. However, we will accept late applications and process them as quickly as possible. Late applicants should be prepared to pay their educational expenses themselves at the time of registration and receive reimbursement if aid is awarded subsequently. 

*“Deadline” means the date by which all documents required to complete your application must be received.

How much financial assistance can I expect to get?

We offer Federal Direct Student Loans (subsidized and unsubsidized) to our students. Students typically borrow only the amount of their tuition, fees, and books. Full-time students may borrow the full cost of attendance up to $9,500 (first-year undergraduates), $10,500 (second-year undergraduates), $12, 500 (third and fourth-year undergraduates), or $20,500 (graduate students), if they are U.S. citizens, or permanent residents. The government will pay the interest on the subsidized portion of the loan if the student demonstrates financial need as calculated by Federal methodology. Subsidized loans are only available for students in undergraduate programs. Students who must wait until the end of the semester for tuition reimbursement from their employers may use loans to pay tuition and fees up front, as long as all deadlines have been met.

The Federal Direct GRAD PLUS loan is available to graduate students whose tuition costs are more than the maximum annual Stafford Loans. GRAD PLUS eligibility is based upon the student’s credit-worthiness. Therefore, the student must complete and submit the Certification Request for GRAD PLUS Loan Form available here.

Are there other assistance options?


A limited amount of campus-based aid (Federal Perkins Loans and Supplemental Grants) is available to students who complete their applications by the priority deadlines. Federal Pell Grants are available to eligible undergraduates each semester.


A small number of school-based scholarships are awarded for the academic year. Information on such options is available here. Applications must be submitted by July 1st for consideration for the fall semester. Students who complete aid applications by the deadline and demonstrate financial need will be considered for limited, partial tuition grants based on the number of credits. Some programs within the School of Education offer tuition support. For more information, contact the academic department in which you plan to study.


Residents of Maryland can be considered for legislative scholarships and Educational Assis¬tance Awards for the next academic year provided they submit their 2013-2014 FAFSA to the federal processor by March 1, 2013. Non-need based MD State Awards including the Workforce Shortage Student Assistance Grants and other scholarships have separate applications. For more information on Maryland state aid, contact the State Scholarship Administration at 410-260-4565, 1-800-974-1024 or at Applications can be downloaded from Washington, DC residents can contact the State Education Office at 202-727-2824 for information about the DC Tuition Assistance Grant Program. Their web site is; click the word ‘Financial Aid’. Deadline for the 2013-2014 D.C. application is June 30, 2013.


Also available are alternative private loans, which can be used by students who are enrolled less than halftime, who have not yet applied for admission, or who have been conditionally or provisionally admitted. You can use as a useful resource to help compare private loans and identify potential lenders. Some lenders offer loans to non-citizens enrolled at least halftime. International students are encouraged to investigate the possibility of aid through their government or outside agencies before applying for these loans. 

You can obtain alternative loan information and an application for these credit-based loans by contacting the lenders directly. Johns Hopkins University School of Education will work with any lender you choose. Once you have chosen a lender, you should contact the lender to initiate an application using our school code (002077-03). Notify your lender that we certify and process alternative loans through the Electronic Loan Management (ELM) Resources system at If your loan application is approved, your lender will ask the financial aid office to certify your enrollment and eligibility for the loan.

Information on the new Federal TEACH Grant which provides grants of up to $4,000 per year to education students who intend to teach in a critical shortage area in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families can be found at

You can view additional information on financial aid sources at the following Web sites:

How may the tax law reduce my education costs?

There are several tax benefits that provide help for those financing the costs of higher education as listed below. Many have income level caps and there are restrictions on taking advantage of more than one deduction and/or education credit at the same time. Please consult your tax adviser for full information and/or visit the IRS website at

  • Employer-paid tuition assistance for undergraduate and graduate course work is tax-free up to $5,250. 
  • Interest paid on student loans is deductible up to $2,500 regardless of the age of the loan.
  • The American Opportunity Tax Credit—up to $2,500 credit available for qualifying educational expenses paid for the first four years of post-secondary graduate education for students pursuing an undergraduate degree or other recognized education credential.
  • The Lifetime Learning Credit—up to $2,000 credit available for qualifying educational expenses. Limited to 20% of tuition and required fees paid for any year of post-secondary education.
  • If you don’t qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit, you may be able to deduct up to $4,000 of qualified tuition and fees paid for yourself, your spouse or dependents if your modified adjusted gross income is not more than $80,000 if single or $160,000 if married filing jointly.

Any further tips?

  • Be sure to use the school’s code E00475 on the FAFSA, and to get a PIN.
  • Complete all forms carefully and proof them before submission.
  • Answer all questions and make sure your name and Social Security number are legible.

For more information

For additional information regarding financial aid or financial aid instructions and application packets contact the Financial Aid office at or via phone (410) 516-9808 or fax (410) 516-9799. Office hours at our Columbia Center office are 8:30 a.m.-5p.m. Monday through Friday:

6740 Alexander Bell Dr.
Suite 110
Columbia, MD 21046

Contact Us

Financial Aid Office
Columbia Center
Suite 110
P: (410) 516-9808
F: (410) 516-9799