Skip Navigation
Student Eligibility

FINANCIAL AID FACT SHEET  Financial aid in brief.

You can be considered for financial aid if you:

  • are fully and unconditionally* accepted into a degree or approved certificate program of 15 or more credits (visit our Admissions section for information on how to apply);
  • are enrolled at least half-time each semester (4.5 credits or more for graduate; 6 credits or more for undergraduates);
  • complete all courses for which aid was awarded; and
  • maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP) - (3.00 cumulative GPA for graduates; 2.00 cumulative GPA for undergraduates) See "Satisfactory Academic Progress" for details.

*Limited federal loan assistance is available for provisionally admitted students. See "Direct Loans" for more information.

For Federal and State aid, you must also:

  • be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen;
  • have registered with the Selective Service between the ages of 18-26 if you are a male;
  • not owe a refund on a Federal grant or be in default on a Federal education loan;
  • not have a drug conviction for an offense that occurred while you were receiving federal student aid (such as grants, loans, or work-study);and

  • be admitted prior to the first day of classes for the semester in which you receive aid. Students admitted in mid-term will become eligible for federal aid the following semester. See "How to Apply" for more details.

The following applicants are not eligible for federal aid:

  • undergraduate and graduate special (non-degree-seeking) students
  • international students with the following Visa type:
    • F-1 or F-2 student Visa;
    • J-1 or J-2 exchange visitors Visa;
    • L-1;
    • G or H series Visa;
    • I688b.

You may want to consider using the tuition payment plan or alternative loans.

Academic Year And Half-Time Enrollment

The academic year consists of the summer, fall, and spring semesters. The Summer 1 and Summer 2 terms together comprise the “Summer Semester.” Likewise, the Intersession and Spring terms together comprise the “Spring Semester.” For the purposes of most financial aid programs, students must maintain at least half-time enrollment in the semester. Half-time enrollment for undergraduate students is at least 6 credits in a semester. Half-time enrollment for graduate students is at least 4.5 credits per semester. 

Contact Us

Financial Aid Office
Columbia Center
Suite 110
P: (410) 516-9808
F: (410) 516-9799