Skip Navigation


How to Apply 

As an international student, you must both fulfill the general requirements for admission, and complete the following additional requirements:

  1. Take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). For School of Education applicants, the minimum TOEFL score is 600 (paper-based) or 100 (Internet-based); the minimum IELTS score is 7. You may complete a TOEFL waiver request form when submitting your application to the Office of Admissions. Waivers from the TOEFL requirement may be granted, for example, if you have earned a degree from a college or university where English is the language of instruction. Individual programs may require additional evidence to demonstrate English language proficiency. The TOEFL code for the Johns Hopkins University School of Education is 8585.
  2. Have your coursework evaluated by a credential evaluation agency if you have earned a degree or credits from a non-U.S. institution. To evaluate your degree, receive an assessment of the overall grade point average, and to receive a course-by-course evaluation, see the Credential Evaluation Agency section for agency contact information.
  3. Have completed a degree, equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree, before the admission deadline (see Deadlines section).
  4. Important: for privacy and security reasons, do not send bank statements or other financial documentation with your application. You will be notified by the university's Office of International Services (OIS) when this information is required.

F-1 Admissions Deadlines

International students must complete their applications for admission by the following dates, in order to receive I-20 status for their F-1 visas.

  • Fall Semester – April 1
  • Spring Semester – October 1
  • Summer Semester – February 1

Other Visa Types (Other than F-1)

If you hold a visa other than an F-1 and wish to enroll as a part-time, special (non-degree) student, follow the application directions for graduate special students.

Credential Evaluation

Applicants who hold degrees or have earned credits from non-U.S. institutions must have their academic records evaluated by a credential evaluation agency before they can be considered for admission to a degree/certificate program or as a graduate special (non-degree) student.

Credential Evaluation Agency Listing

Contact Admissions

For more information or for general admissions questions, please contact the Admissions office at (410) 516-9797 or